Lacrosse Looks To Improve in Second Season

Joe Hacker, Sports Editor

As a brand new club at Carroll, it would have been expected for the Carroll Lacrosse team to have some serious growing pains in year one, and likely lose lots of games, however, that wasn’t exactly the case.

“Even with many new players, we were able to get a lot of wins” said Junior Attacker Michael Dragoo.

Part of the teams success was in part due to also having some veterans of the sport who had played for previous schools in past seasons, including Attacker Evan O’Connor, the teams top returning scorer who tallied 26 points last season (17 G – 9 A) last season after playing his Freshman season with Bishop Dwenger.

“We had lots of people who first started playing as well as some veterans so it was a good combination of skill,” Junior Midfielder Grant Giszewski said.

As the young program enters its second season, it will feel the loss of Attacker Nick Pavelec who graduated from Canterbury last summer and led the Carroll team in scoring with 53 points (26 G – 27 A). However the program has seen large growth this season that can make up for that loss and set a base for the team to grow and develop over the next few years.

“We now have a JV (team) and have over 10 new Freshman,” said Giszewski.

With an experienced team returning, the team will look to build on some of the success that they had last season by getting some more wins and getting better as a team, while also trying to get more people interested in the sport.

“I think a big goal for this season is to get to the point where we can compete at a high level with those more experienced teams and another goal that we set is just to get people interested in the sport and give it a chance,” said Dragoo.

The team plays their home games at Kreager Park and the Varsity club will play their next game on April 17 at Kreager against Concordia.