New Look Chargers Aim for Unity, Titles

After early exits in Postseason this senior class wants to make this season their best

Baylen Hite, Staff Reporter

This year’s baseball team feels closer. They have “Mudita,” which is Sandskit for finding joy in the happiness of others.

“In years past we just haven’t felt completely together. The locker room was kind of divided and now we’ve all come together both JV and Varsity it has a real family feel, that is going to help us as the season goes along,” Hayden Jones said.

Last year the Chargers had an early exit out of the postseason, losing to Dekalb 2-1 in sectional play, finishing the season with a record of (20-5) and another frustrating finish.

“Our goal every year is to make it to Victory Field (The site of the state championship) and this year is especially big year because this senior class hasn’t won a sectional championship so we try and take it game by game but that is in the back of our minds,” Langston Ginder said.

Losing eight seniors would seem like a big loss for a team but the cupboard is still stocked full of talent for the team this year. They have three division one bound players on the roster, Langston Ginder will be heading to Ball State, Riley Perlich is headed for Wright State, and Hayden Jones is going to Mississippi State but also has garnered some professional looks and is a June MLB draft candidate.

After losing 8 seniors to graduation last season Coach Dave Ginder believes others are ready to step up.

“I think we are going to be able to compete with those guys in our dugout but obviously time will tell,” he said.

Coach Ginder spoke of players like Senior Austin Kresl will see big playing time in the outfield and Sophomore Colin Diehm. Among other Junior Bryce Ginder and Sophomore Lincoln Lantz.

So far into the season the Chargers are 2-1 they have impressive wins over Penn and Churubusco. Their lone loss was to #6 ranked Jeffersonville. As far as for the rest of the season here are some games that matter for the Chargers if they look to make a deep run in the Postseason.

May 1, 8, 10: #13 Homestead

These are always big match-ups for the Chargers because of the rivalry with the Spartans but there is more to this than that. The Spartans are one of the highest-ranked teams that the Chargers have scheduled and play not once not twice but three times. These games will have a postseason feel to it and could go a long way for some of the guys still trying to get some experience in close games.

May 14: #15 Huntington North

The Vikings have been a surprise this far into the season. They have started 3-1 on the season and thanks to that find themselves in the rankings for the first time this year. Same thing with the Homestead series as it stand the Vikings are one of the better teams the Chargers will play. This game will once again be a chance for the younger guys to get close game experience.

Time will tell if “Mudita” will help the team win a sectional title and celebrate on Victory Field in Indianapolis.