Students Obsess Over Fortnite Craze

Image from Creative Commons

Luke Hanna, Co-Editor in Chief

Don’t go to Tilted Towers because you will die.

Don’t use the crossbow because you will die.

Be careful about that golden-bolt-action sniper rifle because it’s probably on a spike trap and you will die.

If you’ve been alive in the past few months and haven’t heard of Fortnite, you’re probably living under a rock. Fortnite has taken over not only the teenage world, but the gaming population in general with 40 million users.

Fortnite is a basic 100-person free-for-all game in which the goal is to eliminate all other players. The three game types consist of solo, duo, and squads; each one being pretty self-explanatory. When the game is started, players wait on an island next to the main map until 100 players join.

Once the game is in motion, all players are aboard a blimp which flies over the map. Players then have the ability to jump and skydive to any place on the map. Certain areas on the map have names that are commonly landed on like Dusty Depot, Retail Row, and Tilted Towers.

When landed, players scavenge to find weapons on the ground and through chests in order to find good enough weapons to eliminate other players. These weapons include pump shotgun, assault rifle and crossbow.

To go along with these interesting parts of Fortnite, you can also build bases in order to protect yourself from other players. Senior Noah Carroll, has made his way onto the game before and said it was enjoyable.

“It’s like a mix between Minecraft and any shooter game,” Noah said, “I actually love it.”

The game has taken over by storm and is also free which makes it so much better for everyone else. Even though the game is free people still find themselves spending money on the in game currency called Vbucks. Senior Rocco Ziedler has found himself on the customer side more than once in his Fortnite career.

“The people that created the game are geniuses,” Rocco said. “They made the game free, but they know you want to be better than everyone else so you spend money anyway.”

Fortnite has taken over the school day, the afternoons, and even the nightlife for most students. Another senior, Gabe Hirsch, isn’t exactly a “gamer” himself, but he does find himself around Fortnite quite a bit.

“Any time I’m with my friends or at a little kickback people are always playing Fortnite,” Gabe said, “Honestly, I don’t know what is so fun about the game.”

With the game available on Xbox, Playstation, PC, and now Iphone, it is easy to play with anyone at any time. Similar to its rival game Player’s Unknown Battleground PUBG, but Fortnite is free-to-play and PUBG costs $29.99.

“I mean who wouldn’t want to download a free game?” Rocco said.

Fortnite has taken the world by storm and with the game updating every Thursday it will keep coming back with new surprises.

“Sadly, I don’t think it’ll ever go away,” Gabe said.