Rugby Appreciation Club added to activity period schedule

Tauri Hagemann, Opinions Editor

It’s a decision that every Carroll student faces on a regular basis; choosing a club to go to on Wednesdays. With the regular addition of new clubs, this becomes more and more of a challenge every year. For the 2017-2018 school year, one of these new clubs is the Rugby Appreciation Club, sponsored by Mrs. Stetter and presided over by Christian Olney and Peter Stilwell.

Mrs. Stetter said that she chose to sponsor the club because “Christian Olney approached me and he just wanted a club that people could spread the awareness in what rugby is… we’re just kinda teaching people, spreading awareness about the cool sport.”

The club’s first meeting took place in the first week of school, on August 23. According to Mrs. Stetter, the meeting was attended by approximately 30 students, which was about the number she had expected.

The club is based around learning and understanding the game of rugby through videos and discussion, all while enjoying bonding time with fellow Carroll students.

“Most of the kids who play rugby in the area come to kind of teach and share about it,” Mrs. Stetter said.

The rugby appreciation club meets during activity period every three weeks in Mrs. Stetter’s room, A118 in the freshman center. The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, November 1.