Let it rain…

March 23, 2022

The show choir has been in the shadows for far too long. The family of over 100 kids, parents, volunteers, and teachers may not have the fame of basketball or the hype of football, but they work together through long days and even longer nights to perfect their shows and try to take home the gold. 

This year, however, despite the overwhelmingly amazing shows, the Carroll choirs have yet to receive their well-deserved awards for their performances. 

Until Shelbyville. 

With a last-minute change to the schedule, the choirs found themselves in Shelbyville, Indiana for the Shelbyville Singing Sensational. The choirs left everything on the stage but came off with medals, trophies, and numerous caption awards. 

“I feel kind of a sense of relief that all of the hard work we’ve put in this year is finally being recognized,” said Magic Sounds member Abbie Leach. “It felt good to finally win for once.”

The girl’s group “Select Sound” featuring their show centered around the legend of the pirate Dead Red, earned grand champion along with best vocals, best choreography, best crew, and best soloist award to Jaina Berry.

Having continuously placed second or fourth to top groups, Select Sound senior Tori Noble was proud of her group for all their hard work. 

“I feel accomplished in our year and I’m so proud of my girls this year,” said Noble. 

Freshman girl’s group member Isabel Diemer also expressed her amazement for their placement and is looking forward to what is to come. 

“I feel that winning is going to bring more motivation and confidence to the group so that was can do really well in the next two weeks,” said Diemer. 

“Minstrel Magic” and their performance of the story of Noah and his ark also placed first in their division earning, best vocals, best choreography, best crew, best costumes, and best female and male soloists going to brother and sister Trinity and Trey McFarland. 

“It felt good to be rewarded for all the work we put in,” said senior Minstrel Magic member Nolan Shaw. “I’m super proud of our group as a whole and the win was a really good morale boost.”

Although these students have put in over 300 hours of work making these shows the best they can possibly be, this isn’t just a win for the students. 

“The hours of work and dedication that I have seen from everyone has been such an incredible thing for me to see,” said stage dad Jeff Diemer. “ I have been so honored to be a part of these choirs and I can’t thank the directors, volunteers, crew, and students enough for an unforgettable year.”  

Parents too have dedicated numerous hours to the choirs by building sets, cheering on the students, and lifting the spirits of all of the kids to be the best people they can possibly be. 

“We really couldn’t do this show without the parents and volunteers,” said senior Grace Holle. “They work really hard for all of us and I hope they know we are grateful for it.” 

The win also has to be shared with the amazing band backing up the choirs and joining them in their victories. Director Chapman and his band were also awarded for their amazing efforts at Shelbyville earning them the caption award for best band.

The win was also extended to director Eric Smead and Jill Jeran. Jeran expressed her profound delight at the efforts of the choirs and is happy to see where the season has taken them.

We were so excited to have both groups awarded Grand champion at the Shelbyville Invitational, we had great scores and comments from judges,” said Jeran. “We are not done yet and students are busily working to improve their shows based on judge suggestions.”

This has been a tough year for all in the Carroll Choirs community but through the hard work and dedication of all, they have finally gotten their well-deserved win. The tales of Noah and the legend of Dead Red will take to the stage one last time in Nashville, Tennesee where the competition has come hungry, but the choirs have come starved. 

The Charger Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Charger Online Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *