The Charger Online

Basketball Preview vs. Snider Panthers

The Chargers will look to keep their win streak alive and push it to 8 games Friday night

Baylen HIte, Sports Writer

(14) Nathan Fish shoots a three against Homestead in the SAC Holiday Tournament. Photo by VM Smith

Who? (Carroll Chargers (11-2) (4-1) #21 Sagarin) vs. (Snider Panthers (4-9) (1-3) #101 Sagarin)

When? Friday, January 26th at 7:45 PM EST – TV: SummitCitySports.com

Where? Carroll High School, Field House

Harrell Prediction? 67-48 Carroll

Riding a 7-game win streak after going 2-0 last week with wins over South Side and Merrillville, the Chargers will face off against the Snider Panthers Friday night.

The Panthers come into the game after having a nice week for themselves beating both Canterbury and Concordia by more than 30 points. The Panthers are young, yet have shown they can light up the scoreboard this year.

Factors: 

Carroll: Offensive Average: 61 Points per game | Defensive Average: 41 Points given up (12th in State)

Snider: Offensive Average: 63 Points per game | Defensive Average:  61 Points given up

Analysis:

The Panthers 4-9 record may be deceiving as they have played a very tough non-conference schedule. Teams like Indianapolis Tindley and the Chargers last opponent Merrillville have both beaten the Panthers.

Head coach Jeremey Rauch is in his 2nd year for Snider and has a much tougher challenge than last year’s SAC championship team. Senior Keondre Brown is a contributor from last season averaging 12.2 points per game.

The biggest story for the Panthers this season is the youth. Leading scorer sophomore Dillion Duff is averaging 15.4 points per game (ppg) and freshman Michael Eley is just behind him with 12.4 ppg. Eley can also light it up from beyond the arc as the freshman sharpshooter is averaging 51 percent from three on 31-61 shooting. Both Eley and Duff will have to be a factor for the Panthers if they look to pull the upset.

Three Keys to the Game:

Find their Shooters – If the Chargers can lock down the Panthers main offensive contributors, especially Eley from deep. Often this season teams have failed to closeout on the freshman and have left him open. The Chargers must gain control of the game defensively, as of now they are leading the conference in fewest points given up per game (41).

Continue Knocking Down Free Throws – As a team the Chargers are 75 percent from the stripe in big part to Junior Dan McKeeman and Senior Reece Swoverland. Both are shooting over 90 percent at the line and are a combined 35-38. This will be big for the Chargers especially late in the game if they look to close it out.

Hot Three Point Shooting – Chargers are shooting 42 percent from three as a team. Swoverland is shooting 47 percent (17-36) and Senior Nathan Fish is shooting 46 percent (19-41). Fish has provided a spark off the bench with his 3-pt shooting. If the Chargers want to get out early expect it to be at the hands of the three ball.

Final Prediction – Carroll 65 Snider 49