The Charger Online

Basketball Recap: Girls Move to Regionals

Chargers Take 2nd Consecutive Sectional Title

Joe Hacker, Sports Editor

Girls

Friday: In the Sectional semifinals Friday, the Chargers took on DeKalb and came out on top with an 89-71 win to advance to the Sectional finals. The Chargers jumped out to an early lead after the first quarter, but gave four points back after the second, going to the half leading 46-38. The Barons continued to keep the game within reach for much of the second half until the Chargers started pulling away in the fourth quarter to solidify the win. Laney Steckler led the Chargers in scoring with 31 points and not close behind was Kelli Damman with 28. Damman also came one rebound short of a double double, finishing with nine total, eight of which came off the defensive glass. The only other Carroll scorer in double digits was Alyssa Kimes who put in ten points. DeKalb standout Leigha Brown led all scorers with 37 points.

Saturday: The Chargers defeated Northrop 81-66 on Saturday night to take the Sectional Championship for the second straight year. The girls were yet again paced in scoring by Kelli Damman and Laney Steckler, with Damman scoring 25 and Steckler with 19. The Chargers maintained a small lead through the second half but opened the game up in the fourth quarter after scoring the first few points of the quarter and proceeding to hit the clutch free throws to close out the game. The girls advanced to the Kokomo Regional this weekend where they will take on SAC foe in their first matchup at 10 a.m. Saturday.

Boys

The boys had the weekend off due to sectionals but following Wednesday’s win against Huntington North they moved up one spot in the IBCA Coaches Poll and now hold the 17th spot in the poll.

About the Writer
Joe Hacker, Sports Editor

Joe Hacker in one of two returning members of The Charger Online staff. As Sports Editor last year, Joe wrote a piece called “Not Everyone Starts” which won a Superior Sports Story award from Ball State. In his personal life, Joe admires Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles for his work on and off the field as well as his determination to succeed after nearly falling out of the NFL. A big hockey fan, Joe is a die hard fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning and his sports goal is to one day cover the team for The Athletic. Joe is also a Captain for the Snider hockey club, which won a State Championship last season. Joe hopes to attend Ball State next fall and major in Journalism. As a longtime sports fan, Joe was immediately drawn into a life around sports. While a stellar athlete, Joe decided that he is better fit for a life in the press box than on the field. Joe’s ambition to become a top level journalist pushed him to take a job with SummitCitySports.com starting this fall working on Carroll football and basketball broadcasts. However Joe has also always had an interest in politics and uncovering the truth, leading him to set a goal of being a contributor for InfoWars.com if Sports Writing doesn’t work out.