It’s Time for a Shot Clock

Joe Hacker, Sports Editor

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons

The shot clock, or lack-thereof, in Indiana High School Basketball is one of the most hotly debated topics throughout the high school season and for good reason. The shot clock can be a game changer and could alter results of games on a regular basis as every second is precious in a game of inches.

While those that are in favor of the shot clock staying out of our high school gyms argue that it allows the players more time to set up plays and learn the game in a way, I would use this same example to argue the opposite.

High School is the last place for players to develop their game before they go to college or enter the pro ranks overseas, and yet it seems like having no shot clock is babying these athletes.

Now lets be clear here, I’m not saying that we need to implement a 24 second clock or even the 30 seconds that the NCAA has implemented.

But having a shot clock of 35-45 seconds would force these players to not waste any time and put their grown up pants on and get right into what they’re trying to do in the front court versus what we have right now where there are instances where teams are wasting time passing the ball around in three land, with no plays being set, and acting like it’s going to get them anywhere.

Adding some extra discipline into the game would only make these players better in the long run. Being on the clock would force players to think twice before making a pass just for the sake of moving the ball. It would force players to move the ball with more of a purpose as wasting time with useless passes would suddenly become that much more important to avoid.

Now an example of why this could also prove to be an issue for the growth of high school basketball. A few weeks ago Blackhawk Christian was playing Bishop Dwenger, and in the middle of overtime, Jalen Mull and one of his teammates decided to play a quick game of catch with the score at 64-64. While this only happened for a few seconds, there have been times where this kind of thing goes on for an unnecessarily long portion of time and more often happens at the end of quarters where teams will hold the ball for 50 seconds to make sure they get the last shot.

Games where this happens quickly turn boring and suck the fun out of close games and could easily turn someone off of the game if they are just tuning in for a quick look or for the first time.

It’s just not beneficial to the players in terms of them getting better and it’s not good for the growth of high school basketball.

So lets help everyone out and get a shot clock into Indiana High School Basketball.