Seniors still getting yearbook quotes, editor in chief says

Tauri Hagemann, Opinions Editor

From the day a student enters high school, it’s consistently a thought at the back of their mind, a lingering question that they have only four short years to decide on; their senior quote.

Carroll yearbooks in years past have not included senior quotes, as they were reserved for the top 10 of each class; however, the class of 2017 was the first class in years from which every student got a senior quote. For the class of 2018, however, there has been some panic among students about whether they would be getting senior quotes at all.

Senior Caleb Moser is one of many from the class of 2018 who is upset by the possibility of not getting senior quotes, though he sees them as something much more deep and symbolic than just a quote.

“I think senior quotes are a sufficient way for seniors to identify the legacy they want to leave behind. As we leave, us seniors want to be remembered and want to have something to ‘summarize’ our high school experience in a sense,” he said.

However, yearbook quotes don’t carry this same significance with everyone. Senior Helen Wargo is apathetic towards the idea of senior quotes, saying that “a lot of people don’t take it seriously and just come up with bland quotes” and that it also “takes pressure off of [her] to come up with something clever or life changing.”

Senior Kylee Hoot is the editor-in-chief of the staff for the 2017-2018 yearbook, and despite rumors and hesitations circulating about whether or not senior quotes would be present, she has said that the yearbook staff will be including quotes for the class of 2018.

What will happen is the quotes will be triple checked by myself, Mr. Beckley, and the administration,” Kylee said.

Under the new yearbook advisor, Mr. Beckley, students began to hear rumors circulating that he would not be allowing senior quotes for the class of 2018; his reasoning being that, working on Northrop’s yearbook in past years before he came here, he saw that it was too difficult to regulate what students put into their senior quotes, and often times inappropriate references or jokes can slip through editing and make it into the final yearbook.

Kylee says that “so many kids try to sneak in an inappropriate saying. They will say things that have double meanings or use weird wording so that its hard to catch.” This presents problems later on, upon distribution of yearbooks, when students and their parents look through and potentially come across quotes that are not entirely acceptable for the school yearbook.

However, Senior Alaina Gosheff believes that this should not stop the yearbook staff from including senior quotes.

“If kids submit an inappropriate quote, that’s their loss. The rest of us shouldn’t have to suffer because a few kids are immature,” she said.

Despite the controversy, Kylee has said that “we have ultimately decided to go on with senior quotes,” so the class of 2018 can rest easy knowing that their legacy will live on in their yearbooks.