Local Economy, Scene Bankrupts Teens

According to this graph from the Illinois Department of Human Services kids do not reach the maturity to make adult-like decisions until they hit 18.

Aleena Daenens, Co-Editor in Chief

Being broke in high school is just a way of life, and if you are 16 or older holding a part-time “joke,” then the response, “Sorry, I don’t have money” is a common response to many invitations.

Are you tired of making three-figures? Well … I don’t have the solution for you.

I do have an explanation though.

Teens not only have the psychological build-up to spend that dough, but Fort Wayne loves forcing you to consume.

According to a September 2017 article in Psychology Today, teens are more likely to make risky decisions than adults or children.

This is because teens aren’t good at understanding the outcomes of our decisions, almost as though we are indestructible. Since we have such large drives to just spend the money now and pay the costs later, paydays go toward spending, not saving.

Not only are we built to “make it rain,” Fort Wayne makes it pretty hard to avoid bankruptcy at a young age. Once you hit 16, everything changes. A whole new world of driving, working, and becoming a consumer hits you all at once. And if you’re 16 or older, everyone’s favorite question is, “What do you want to do?” Going through the list of options of what to do in The Fort is pretty short, especially in winter.

Options include; going out to eat, bowling, ice skating, Netflixing, maybe even going to a library. In the summer, more options appear, but a reoccurring pattern is clear; getting out of the house means spending money.

Us teens struggle finding things to do without spending money, but who can blame us? We are social creatures, craving the fresh air and adventure outside of the home we have lived in for our whole lives. So when given the option to Netflix and … or to go out and spend the dough on food or clothing, the popular option is definitely the second one.

Like all great things, adulthood is a large power with large responsibility. So if you find yourself crying when opening your bank account balance, maybe it’s time to find a good TV show.

Or maybe, move to Antarctica, there aren’t as many restaurants there. Or people. Or anything.