Three Things: Carroll Football Week One

Carroll 20 – 21 Bishop Luers

Joe Hacker, Sports Editor

Week One has now come and gone for Indiana High School Football so it’s time to take a look back at the week that was for the Carroll Chargers.

After being upset by Bishop Luers in Week One last season, the Chargers hoped to get off to a better start this season by avenging last seasons 34-19 loss.

Unfortunately, that’s not how it went for the boys in blue.

After Layton Mitchell caught a 38 yard touchdown pass, the Chargers were unable to convert the PAT leaving them with just a six point lead with plenty of time to play. On the ensuing Luers got down to the Charger five yard line before Norman Knapke’s pass was intercepted in the end zone by Ray Vollmer following a delay of game penalty that infuriated the Luers coaching staff as they were yelling for a time out.

However the Chargers would proceed to go three-and-out with a punt placing the Bishop Luers Knights on the 50 yard line. On the very next play Luers would show their resiliency as Justin Gaston would score on a 50-yard pass to take the lead after a successful PAT.

From there the Chargers would never get inside the Luers 37 yard line, sealing their fate in week one.

However, as with every week, there were things to takeaway from the game. Here are three things I noticed from the Press Box at Luersfield:

• Quarterback Gaven Vogt certainly loves running the ball as he did it often Friday night, 21 times in total, at times making it feel like he ran it more times than he threw. While usually I wouldn’t be a fan of this type of play, especially given the horrendous conditions on the field, he made it work, making plays happen more with his feet and less with his arm. I lost track of how many times Vogt scrambled from the pocket just to pull out a miraculous play. One instance of this that stands out is a third quarter touchdown where Vogt rolled right and then back left before making a short pass to Rhett Saylor who ran it 68 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown to tie the game at 14. There were also numerous plays where Vogt would run for first downs or 5+ yard gains. Combine all this with some of the passes he made and Vogt was easily the Chargers MVP on the night.
  • As the rain came down for much of the first half, including an absolute downpour in the second quarter, the Chargers had a tough time getting much going through the air, save for an early touchdown pass to Luers transfer Camdyn Childers. For now we’ll chalk this one up to the weather but it’s certainly something to watch out for this Friday to see if it becomes a trend.
  • There were stretches in the middle of the game where the defense seemed to constantly be on the field withstanding the barrage of Justin Gaston and Jordan Presley runs. The fact that Luers was only able to manage 21 points shows how the Chargers defense was able to come up with numerous stops at critical times such as the aforementioned Vollmer interception.

While Friday’s loss will certainly sting for a while, the Chargers immediately have a chance to rebound, albeit against the kings of Fort Wayne football, the Snider Panthers. The Panthers roll will come to Carroll this Friday coming off a 31-8 win over North Side to kick off their season and will look to continue their march to a third consecutive SAC title with a convincing win over the home team. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. and the game will be streamed live on summitcitysports.com.

Check back here next week where we will once again go over three things we can take away from the Chargers performance under the Friday Night Lights.