Study hall not as beneficial as thought

Opinion Column

Study Hall seems pretty useless. It may seem like a useful class where people can get their homework done. If they are busy at night, then study hall can be useful to make that up. But, at least from my experience, I do anything but homework.

I read, play games, and only do homework if it is necessary. Most other people that I have talked to don’t use their time in study hall well either.

According to a study by John Paul II Catholic High School in Tallahassee, Florida, 69% of the students that filled out their survey agreed that their study hall helped them finish their homework.

But the school that this survey was taken at had only 120 students in grades 9-12. In a larger school, the students would be harder to control, making study hall less quiet.

To most people, quiet helps them focus. Maybe a little bit of music, but in a loud classroom, with a lot of people talking, getting work done isn’t as easy.

A survey conducted by Interface on their employees came up with the results that 69% of the employees in America, the UK, and Australia that took the survey said that a loud noise level impacted them negatively.

While this may take place in an office, it could roll over into school, most especially, study hall. Little noises may not be controllable, but conversations wouldn’t help anyone be productive.

The noises, combined with not being productive can lead to procrastination, either purposeful, or not.

The definition of procrastination is the action of delaying or postponing something. This can be purposeful, or non-purposeful.

With a distracting class, this would be non-purposeful procrastination. That could create more stress for the student because they have to finish their work.

More stress means the more the student procrastinates, at least in my experience. When I get stressed, I do more of what I want to do, and less of what I need to do to not be stressed.

Most people usually end up putting off what needs to be done until there is no time left to get the work done.

This procrastination leads to more stress that the students are forced to handle in some way, shape, or form. This creates a cycle of stress that is hard to beat. This stress can lead to anxiety and depression, making the students’ lives even harder.

According to the Pew Research Center, 70% of students say that anxiety and depression are a problem with them and their peers.

Not getting homework finished because study hall isn’t a great environment, can lead to stress, which can harm the student and their grades.

Without study hall, even if there wouldn’t be any extra time during the school day, the students would be able to go find a different, quiet environment.

This would help them be more productive, and help their stress level, and in turn, help their anxiety and depression levels.

Therefore, study hall has no real use except for those days when a student needs to hurriedly finish work that’s due the same day.