The test of the year

Prepping+for+the+SAT+doesnt+always+have+to+be+something+to+stress+about.+Plenty+of+colleges+are+now+offering+a+test+optional+application+for+students.+

Prepping for the SAT doesn’t always have to be something to stress about. Plenty of colleges are now offering a “test optional” application for students.

In light of the upcoming SAT day on Wednesday, March 2nd, many students have been feeling the dread and anxiety that this test gives off. This three-hour test is usually the root of most college-bound students dread right behind the cost and waiting for an acceptance letter.

There are many ways that students can better prepare for this test such as getting a head start on studying so there is less of a chance of cramming the night before. There are many free online resources and local tutors that will work to help a student prepare for the test. Khan Academy and College Board are great assets that are free and available to the public online. Places such as Sylvan learning can also provide students with in-person SAT preparation help.

“I feel anxious because I don’t know what’s gonna be on the test but I know that there are materials out there to help like the study packet,” said junior test-taker Kailey Dewald.

By the time students take the test, they have about 3 and a half years of high school-level coursework under their belt to assist them and give them insight into the questions being asked.

When preparing, it is highly recommended by the College Board to take advantage of full-length practice tests to try and get a feel for how the real test might feel. 

Having friends that are also taking the test close to the same time can also be favorable because it can allow everyone to keep each other accountable and up to date on study sessions and practice problems.

Getting a good night’s sleep the night before as well as laying out the clothes and materials needed for the next day will show significant signs of improvement because there will be less brain fog in the morning caused by lack of sleep or anxiety. The official College Board website will give students a list of materials needed for test day to allow them to be prepared for the day up ahead and set them up for success.

While the SAT is important and can provide insight for colleges to see what a student’s academic record may look like in the future, it is not always the make or break factor of a student’s college admissions report. There are other factors that most admissions officers look for more than a good SAT score.

Most schools today are a test-optional application that allows students to show off their true potential rather than a test that may not have a lot of accuracy to their abilities. Local schools like Ball State University, Manchester University, and Anderson University are all test-optional if it is decided that the test score isn’t a great reflection of a particular student’s academic abilities.

Taking the SAT test multiple times is also an option for students who feel their first test score may not reflect their full potential.

College Board has recently partnered with Khan Academy to bring students ways to study and learn from any past mistakes made in previous tests taken.

“I tried to take it four times because of outside sources and I was really stressed out about it, but it actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,” said Senior Maddie Bloom.

With over 3 million students taking the SAT each year, know that there are ways to get help. There are many available options for students to study and prepare for the test and the available options for students who decide to not take the college route or even opt out of their scores.

Good luck to all of the students who are taking the SAT this Wednesday March 2nd and happy e-learning day to all of our sophomores, juniors, and seniors.