Charger Softball Shows Struggles Through 4 Games

Carroll has been shutout in both of their losses thus far.

Freshman Pitcher Taylor Danley poses with her first Home Run Ball. 
Her homer was the only one of the night in a 23-1 victory for Carroll over Warsaw.

Carroll Softball Facebook

Freshman Pitcher Taylor Danley poses with her first Home Run Ball. Her homer was the only one of the night in a 23-1 victory for Carroll over Warsaw.

After starting the year with two straight cancellations; the Carroll Charger Softball team is in the full swing of things as they played 4 games in 5 days this past week and went an even 2-2, including two shutout losses at home.

They faced 2A #2 Eastside on Friday Night and were no-hit by Natalie Lower. The Chargers had one base runner the entire game that reached on error, but was thrown out caught stealing.

Senior Laney Conner went the entire 7 innings for the team in the loss, only allowing 3 hits and 1 ER. The 2 main issues were the lack of hits/base runners and the teams’ 4 errors.

Carroll was also shutout at home in their second game of the season to Homestead; which ended a 10 game home winning streak dating back to 2021.

In the game, Carroll struck out 12 times and only put up 4 hits in the ballgame and left 10 runners on base, running themselves out of the inning twice.

Meanwhile, Emilia Garcia allowed 3 runs off of 4 hits, and struck out 4 batters through 3 innings, and then Laney Conner came in and allowed 2 runs off of 2 hits and struck out 6 batters in 4 innings. Once again, it was the baserunning, lack of the bats, and the 3 errors that cost the Chargers an early loss.

The team avenged their loss to Homestead with a 23-1 win @ Warsaw the very next day recording 13 hits and only striking out twice.

Freshman Isabella Rapson got her first Varsity start and tossed a 3 strikeout no hit 3 innings, before Freshman Taylor Danley came in for her first Varsity action. Danley sat down 4 batters, walked 2, allowed 1 hit and 1 run. Danley also stepped up to the plate and went yard for the Chargers in her first at bat.

The team opened their season with a sloppy 15-5 win over Garrett, in a game that could have ended in the fifth inning.

Laney Conner got the ball on Opening Day and went the entire way giving up only 2 ER, struck out 12 batters, and allowed only 1 hit. Conner walked 7 batters through her 7 innings.

Carroll recorded 10 runs in the ballgame and were walked 13 times compared to just 4 strikeouts and they left 10 on base.

So through 4 games this season, there is a common denominator for the Carroll Chargers: Baserunning, lack of hits/runners, and errors.

We will see how they respond to a 2-2 start as they have another busy week @ Northrop Tuesday, and at home against Huntington North and Bellmont Wednesday and Thursday.