The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Chargers Keep On Rolling

Charger Checkup Week 2
hunter
Charger Checkup Week Two. Volleyball after a win, Fireworks from Friday, Freshman FB from Thurday

Week 2 of the Charger Checkup is Here.  Check out this week’s edition below.  

The Chargers started off a bit slow with a 4-5 record through Wednesday, but really turned it around towards the end of the week with a final record of 17-7-1. The week started off with a volleyball sweep vs. Northrop with all teams winning in straight sets.  Girls soccer dropped their first game of the season to Penn on the road. The JV Football team also was able to pick a win against Snider on the road.  Moving on to Wednesday volleyball played a very stout Bellmont and fell in 3 sets at all levels.  A tough loss for this team after losing to state-ranked HSE the week before. 

On Thursday the teams got back on the right foot on the back of volleyball who picked a hard-fought 3-0 win over Dwenger on the road.  Seeing them bounce back after taking a tough road loss the night prior was good. Also on Thursday the Lady Chargers Soccer team made the trip up to Dekalb and came away with a victory from JV and Varsity.  

Volleyball has a huddle during a timeout vs. Dwenger on Thursday. Photo by Hunter Mitchell

Friday brought another football game for the Chargers.  After rolling through South Side last week the Chargers returned home to face Dwenger for homecoming.   The game was very low scoring until the 4th quarter with the score at 20-6 at the start of the quarter.  A blocked field goal returned for a touchdown making it 20-13 with eight minutes left.  Carroll started to pull away when Hansen Haffner caught his third touchdown of the night and Cam Lentz sealed the deal with a pick-six to put the Saints away.  The final score was 40-13 Chargers. Football is back in action this Friday on the road at Snider, which could already be the SAC conference title game.

On Saturday some of the toughest competition occurred, Volleyball went to Laport for the Slicer Invitational and was able to sweep that tournament 4-0 by beating Valpo, Mishawaka Marion, Warsaw, and Laporte in straight sets. Boys Soccer was able to handle Concord at home.  Girls soccer made a trip down to Indy for a match vs. Brebuef and #1 in the Nation Hamilton Southeastern.  The team tied in their first match against Brebuef, but were able to beat HSE 1-0 on a last-second goal from Nadia Ford, A great test for this soccer who has the potential to go deep in the state tournament.

This week’s action is as follows:

Monday –  JV/V Soccer at home vs. Luers.  JV Football at Dwenger

Tuesday – Nothing

Wednesday – Only boys soccer has a game… on the road at Northrop

Thursday – Freshmen Football at home vs. Dwenger and Girls Soccer @ Northrop

Friday – Varsity Football vs. Snider at Northrop for what could be the SAC title.

Saturday – Freshman VB tourney at Warsaw.  Varsity-only boys soccer @ Northridge 

Be sure to check back next week for the next installment of the weekly Charger Checkup.