The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Dress codes affect more than just students

Milan De Clercq(unsplash)
    Dresscode sign on street displaying articles of clothing

Dress code. The dreaded topic that is talked about daily in schools. Students are often criticized for their crop tops or ripped jeans. But have the tables turned? Are teachers getting dress-coded too?

English Teacher Bailey Galligher said the teacher dress code has been changed over the years.

“As a result of talking to teachers who have been at Carroll longer than I have, it is my understanding that the teacher dress code has changed a lot over the years.”

This trend is similar to the student dress code, it has been changed and altered over the years. 

“From my current understanding,” said Galligher, “The teacher’s dress code is to look like a professional individual.” 

Professionalism can be written in many different fonts, showing up on time or sharing suggestions with colleagues. Monica LaLonde, a Social Studies teacher talks about her opinion on what professionalism is to her. 

“Professionalism is conducting yourself in such a way that is reflective of your chosen career and the expectations within that career,” LaLonde said. “This could include everything from your knowledge and skill set of your profession to the way you conduct yourself outside your profession to the way you dress for your profession.”

Presenting yourself in a professional manner is immensely important. Dressing for your certain profession is a cardinal rule, for example, construction workers wouldn’t wear scrubs. As a teacher wouldn’t wear a skimpy top and shorts.

Freshman Principal Amy Thomas said she has trust in her fellow staff members.

“We just trust our professionals to be professional,” Thomas said.

Having trust in others is what keeps the freedom of the dress code going. Without it, the dress code would escalate. 

“Five Dollar Jean Fridays” is a special day every week which allows our hardworking staff and teachers to wear jeans. 

Thomas jumps into the logistics of “Five Dollar Jean Fridays.”

“We take a voluntary collection from the teachers during the month,” she said. “We take a $5 donation and then they[teachers] choose different organizations to give that money to.” 

This is a new feature that has been added to the NACS teacher dress code. Wearing jeans helps teachers and staff teach more comfortably.

“I love being able to wear jeans on Fridays. I feel like I can do more activities in my classroom comfortably in jeans,” Galligher said. “This includes activities for class and brain breaks. This has been a positive change in the teacher dress code, in my opinion.”

Jeans allow teachers and staff to move more effectively. Adding jeans to the dress code has elevated the teacher’s outlook on the staff dress code.

Dressing professionally helps present yourself as a knowledgeable member of a team.

“But it’s a little bit hard from our standpoint sometimes because we never know when something’s going to happen,” said Amy Thomas. “So it feels a little uncomfortable sitting in a pretty important meeting whether it’s a discipline meeting or something like that, dressed up like a superhero”