The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Chargers face Tigers in repeat 6A clash

6A Playoff Predictions
Avah Crane
Carroll Arving at Lucas Oil Last Year

A state champ will be crowned, dreams will be accomplished, and history will be made.  This is Indiana and this is 6A football:  the cornfields of doom.

Playoffs are just around the corner and the biggest games in the state are all on tap in the biggest class in  Indiana starting October 27.  Here you will find predictions for every matchup and then a hypothetical prediction bracket.  Let’s jump into it.  

SECTIONAL 2:

CARROLL @ WARSAW

Carroll drew the road matchup vs Warsaw which is a familiar matchup for the Chargers as they have played them the past three years in Sectionals and beaten them all three times.  I have no reason to believe that will change as long as the defense can stop the option and Jimmy Sulivan is on his A game.  Give me the Chargers by 18.

Elkhart @ Penn

Elkhart has a hard first game against a tough Penn team looking for revenge after getting knocked out in the first round last year by Carroll.  I’ll take Penn by 24

Sectional 2 Championship 

Penn @ Carroll

A Rematch from last year’s sectional semifinal game, where the Chargers ran Penn out of their own stadium 35-7.  This game will be closer but home-field advantage will play a factor. Give me the Chargers by 10.

Sectional 1:

Portage @ Lake Central

This is one of the games that could go either way, LC took the first matchup this year by a point 21-20 so my prediction is Lake Central by 3.

Lafayette Jefferson  @ Crown Point 

This one probably won’t be a close game even though Jefferson shocked everyone and won last year. This year’s Crown Point team will win by 14.

Sectional 1 Championship 

Lake Central @ Crown Point 

Jefferson is better than Lake Central and LC got steamrolled early this season.  Give me Crown Point by 22.

SECTIONAL 3:

Fishers @ Homestead

This one may get ugly for the Spartans as they have been horribly inconsistent this season.  This Fisher’s team gave HSE a run for their money and has had a solid season.  Give me Fishers by 17.  

HSE @ Northrop

I honestly feel bad for Northrop here, Winless and playing one of the Best teams in the state… ouch.  HSE by 45. 

Sectional 3 Championship 

Fishers @ HSE, County rivalry renewed again

This will be one of the best Championship games of the entire state with these two powerhouses in Indy.  The defense may be a thing of imagination as oftentimes when these two play each other the defenses don’t get off the bus.  Fishers by 1

SECTIONAL 4:

Westfield @ Carmel

The Shamrocks are 8-1 this year and the Greyhounds are a solid 5-3, that being said Westfield is the better team and they will win by 14

Noblesville @ Zionsvile

These two are both in the lower chunk of HCC but the Millers are a more complete team.  Noblesville by 8.

Sectional 4 Championship

Westfield @ Noblesville 

The Shamrocks are looking to make it back to Lucas Oil from 2021 and this is a good start. Shamrocks by 3.

SECTIONAL 5:

Brownsburg @ Ben Davis

Man, what a game this should be!  The 1 vs 2 in the first round of the playoffs, you just wish that it was a later matchup.  This game will be a great one to watch and whoever has the ball last will win.  Give me Ben Davis by 1.

Avon @ Pike 

Eh, this game is going to be a snooze fest neither Pike nor Avon are any good.  I’ll take Pike by 7

Sectional 5 Championship

Ben Davis @ Pike

The running clock starts at 35 and this game should run the entire second half.  Ben Davis by 49

SECTIONAL 6:

North Central @ Cathedral

This one is fairly easy, Semi-state runner-up from last year Catherdral will handle North Central by 35

Lawrence Central @ Lawrence North

Lawrence North bested Central earlier this year in Lucas Oil and that will not change Friday.  LN by 17.

Sectional 6 Championship

Lawrence North @ Cathedral 

This one will be close but Cathedral by 7

SECTIONAL 7:

Perry Meridian @ Warren Central

This whole sectional isn’t very good but Warren is the clear favorite with the stout D-line they boast.   The defense is good but the Warriors struggle to score points.  Warren Central by 15

Southport @ Arsenal tech

Both teams struggle to score and win games it will be a race to 7 points on Friday.  Southport by 7.

Sectional 7 Championship

Warren Central @ Southport 

Warren will run away with it with a running clock.  Warren Central by 35

SECTIONAL 8:

Franklin Central  @ Center Grove

Center Grove is the three-time defending state champ.  Franklin Central is decent but no one is stopping Center Grove before Semi State.  CG by 42

Jeffersonville @ Columbus North

A 2-hour bus ride is brutal, add that to a 0-9 record, and that leads to trouble.  Columbus North by 15

Sectional 8 Championship

Center Grove @ Columbus North

Well, this one is fairly obvious.  CG by 22

That concludes the Sectionals.  Here is what my bracket looks like now

Regionals:

Crown Point vs Carroll

I think the Chargers will still have some bark in them at this point and if the game is at home then Carroll will defend the home turf yet again.  Chargers by 3

Westfield vs Fishers

A good game this could be if we see it.  TheRocks won by 14 last time and I think they escape by 3 this time

Ben Davis vs Cathedral 

This has the potential to be a good game.  The Giants from Ben Davis have not lost to an Indiana team yet and won’t change here either.  BD by 7

Warren Central vs Center Grove

Yeah, Warren Central is big but has no offense.  Center Grove by 20

That is all she wrote for the regionals on Semi-State Here is what my bracket looks like now

Semi-States:

Carroll vs Westfield 

This is where the road ends for the Chargers making it back to the Semi-State game for the second year in a row but Westfield is looking for redemption and is ready to prove it.  Shamrocks by 5

Ben Davis vs Center Grove 

This is the first matchup that Center Grove could fall in.  If the Giants have the ball last I think they come out with a W.  But I think Center Grove is too good to let that happen.  Center Grove by 3

Onto the title game

Westfield vs Center Grove 

As much as it pains me Center Grove will win a fourth straight title.  They only got better from last year and have just as much talent.  Center Grove by 12

Boom and just like that there is your State Champ for the 4th straight year.