The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Girls Basketball Ready to Rumble

Carroll+Huddle+at+Columbia+City+
Hunter Mitchell
Carroll Huddle at Columbia City

Indiana and basketball. An iconic duo, you can’t have one without the other. In a state where basketball is idealized and dreamed about the Lady Chargers are ready to add their chapter to history books.

Last season the team had a 16-8 record before losing in the sectional championship to Snider after beating rival Northrop by a 20-point margin. A strong season for the Chargers, one of the strongest outside of the semi-state run from 4 years ago, they are looking to carry that success into a new season. While that might be easy on paper the squad lost about 52% of scoring from last with Seniors Taylor Fordyce and Kayla Gibbs heading to the NAIA. A young team no doubt this season for the Chargers with 3 seniors, 4 juniors, and 2 sophomores.

The Roster:

Jaidyn Fuller -SR- Wing/ G (Out for 6 Games – Injury)

Rachel Bova – SR – SF/F

Emma Wigintion -SR- Post

Callie Mitchell- JR- PG/F

Jersey Paul – JR-SG

Lauren Kirkpatrick-JR- F/SG

Maddie Gawthrop- JR-F

Lilly George- SO-Post

Ava Meyers- SO-PG

Overall Predictions 

The ceiling for this squad is right around the 11-11 margin. Head coach Mark Redding has not had a losing season since 2014 but this is very possibly the first losing season in 10 years. One of the issues this team will face is the lack of ball movement which will stagnate the offense and lead to more turnovers for this very young squad. Finding a point guard that can spread the ball around really opens the floor for Jersey Paul and Ava Meyers to shoot from behind the arc. If the 3 ball isn’t working it becomes a very one-dimensional offense that relies heavily on getting the ball to Lilly George and Emma Wigintion in the post. Feeding your post players isn’t a bad thing if you can get a clean entry pass and work deep off the block. The defense will be a problem for this team because when Lilly and Emma play at the same time, which is very likely considering 7-9 players will dress, the help side defense can slow if the other team speeds up the game. If the Chargers can control the pace of play on offense the defense will have an easier time stopping the 3. If the offense has a higher number of turnovers, the transition defense will need to be improved without getting poor fouls. When this team can get to the charity stripe they have to take every possible opportunity to score as that will be at a premium this season. If the Chargers get into foul trouble early that will present a problem as the new rule is once a team gets to 5 fouls in the quarter they shoot 2 free throws. You lose the foul to give at the end of the game, teams have to be more aware of how many fouls they have or let their opponent shoot FTs.

Carroll during a time out. (Hunter Mitchell)

How will the Chargers Fair in the SAC?

The Chargers might surprise some people in the SAC this season. Often the SAC can be very straightforward with Homestead and Northrop at the top but this year the entire conference is down except for Snider, Northrop, and Homestead. The Chargers will lose to those three mentioned, but might be able to leech a win from Wayne and South Side as the “Upsets”. Look for the Chargers to go 6-3 in conference play this season and be in the top 5 of the conference.

Below is a breakdown of every game on the schedule for the Chargers.

Game one at Columbia City: 62-31 Loss

This game was not great for the Chargers with only 7 players dressed for the game. The Eagles of Columbia City were 20-3 last year and lost to the Chargers to open the season last year. This game was led in scoring by Lilly George with 17 out of 31 for this team. The first of many tests for this young team.

Game Two at Angola: Prediction 55-27 Win

The Chargers handled business vs the Hornets looking like a complete team on Tuesday. This was a good way to bounce back after that loss to Columbia City.

Game Three vs Huntington North: Prediction 54-35 Loss

The Vikings of Hunt. North went 19-5 and lost to Homestead in the Sectional Championship. This game will be like the first game, a team that Carroll bested last year but gets dropped by the Vikings.

Game Four vs Northrop: Prediction 64-30 Loss

This is a Northrop team whose season was ended at the hands of the Chargers but the Bruins return a very strong core including Lexi Castrator who is a former Charger. In the regular season last season, the Chargers got smoked by the hands of the Bruins. With a team that will struggle to score this might get ugly early.

Game Five vs Carmel: Prediction 42-38 Loss

The Greyhounds struggled last year and this one could come down to the buzzer again. With Fuller still out the lack of experience will show again and the Chargers drop a close one.

Game Six at East Noble Prediction 62-32 Win

The Chargers pick up the first win of the campaign vs the Knights. East Noble always struggles to have an offense against Mark Redding teams with teams that are considered bad.

Game seven at Penn: Prediction 41-40 Win

Last year the Chargers ran away with this one, but this year it will be a lot closer, The Chargers will take it at the buzzer on the road.

Game Eight vs Dekalb: Prediction 60-34 Win

Another game where the Chargers have their way often and early picking up the 3rd win of the season. The Chargers will have some momentum heading into this one and will be able to capitalize on it at home.

Game Nine at Homestead: Prediction 53-40 Loss

The Spartans have been one of the best area teams in the past few years and that will play a factor in this game. The Chargers don’t have enough depth to hang with the Spartans for 4 quarters, so chalk this one up to youth and a win for the Spartans.

Game 10 at Northridge: Prediction 50-49 Loss

This game could go either way as the matchups have generally been within 5 points and typically if the Raiders can force a couple of late turnovers they can pull away which may be what happens here.

Game 11 vs Warsaw: Prediction 56-34 Loss

The Tigers are one of the early favorites in the area to make a deep run. The Chargers may be able to compete for about three quarters but will run out of steam in the 4th.

Game 12 vs Concordia: Prediction 56-39 Win

In the first SAC doubleheader, the Chargers will be able to handle Concordia as the Cadets often struggle to score.

Game 13 vs Wayne: Prediction 54-45 Win

The Wayne Generals have been good before as this was Reading’s old team. The Chargers will build a head of steam going into the break.

Game 14 vs Fishers: Prediction 67-49 Loss

The Tigers overmatch the Chargers in almost all aspects of the game. The Chargers might hang around for a half then the youth will show up in the 3rd.

Game 15 at North Central vs Decatur Central: Prediction 53-51 Win

This one is hard to get a read on as these two haven’t met before. The Chargers hopefully do a little work over break and get a big win.

Game 16 vs Norwell: Prediction 43-40 Win

Norwell was very good last year but the level of opponents that the Knights play is worse than the Chargers. The Chargers will be ready to show people they can hang with some solid teams.

Game 17 at Dwenger: Prediction 65-40 Win

The Chargers are looking to get another 3-game win streak with a win at Dwenger which is very well on the card for this squad. When the Chargers play the Saints it typically goes the way of Carroll and that shouldn’t change this year.

Game 18 vs HSE: Prediction 57-34 Loss

The Chargers went to HSE last year and even with the seniors still here it was a beatdown from the Royals, who 2 of the best players in the state, both have Power Five offers. This may be one of those quick games with HSE running out much of the clock in the second half.

Game 19 vs Luers: Prediction 52-26 Win

Last season the Chargers ran the Knights out of the building only allowing 26 points. Luers isn’t typically that good and a win after getting smoked by HSE will be good motivation for the squad to get back in the W column.

Game 20 at South Side: Prediction 55-53 Win

The Archers are always at the top of the SAC in girls’ basketball and play a slow but tough style when they can control the tempo of the game. If the Chargers can speed up the game then they will prevail with a close win.

Game 21 at North Side: Prediction 55-24 Win

The Legends are typically not that good and the Chargers will be looking to grab another win before heading into sectionals. The only way Carroll loses is if no one is playing in the game. This is the easiest game on the schedule all year for this team.

Game 22 vs Snider: Prediction 65-36 Loss

It was the same situation last year in the game before sectionals Carroll vs Snider. The Panthers have one of the best players in the state on their roster and she will look to impose her will on the Carroll offense. Last year against the Panthers the Chargers looked flat all night long, now whether that was just they didn’t show their cards for sectionals or just an off-night look for more of the same this year from the Panthers.