Loose pants next chic trend

Jacey McLaughlin, Features Editor

Senior Kelsey Volkert shows off her wide legged pants. Kelsey found the pants in a donation bag given to the school’s fashion program. She seam ripped the bottom hem of the pant leg to add extra length, a wider look, and the distressed feel. Photo by Jacey McLaughlin

Skinny jeans and long sleeve tees bought on Spring Break were the go-to look.

This fashion statement is about to be overturned with the trendy uprising of loose fitting pants. These pants may be causing some people to have a mini heart attack due to the attention they could generate.

Styling this foreign pant style can be quite intimidating for some, but it isn’t as tricky as it may seem. With a large statement pant it is okay to keep the top basic and simple. Statement pants can range from straight leg to palazzo pants.

They can be cropped or floor length. High waisted or low rise. Tailored or flowy. There are countless options. Loose fitting pants are trendy, comfy and fashion forward.

Before wearing loose fitting pants here are some core styling tips. Depending on the desired look, there are a few different ways to pair these pants with a top. For a more classic and tailored look keep the shirt tighter and tucked in.

Adding a belt to this look will act as a transition from the top to the bottom. To produce a more business casual look, take inspiration from Hollywood stars, by adding a long-line jacket. In pursuance of a retro-esque look, pair the pants with a baggier shirt, either tucked in or hanging loose over the hips.

This Hollywood trend, unlike many others, can be quite affordable. Chain stores and local boutiques have been keeping this style in stock. Stores like Forever 21, Sugar Love, and Target have many affordable and quality options.

Don’t let fear stop the trend, more and more students every week sport the new trend. Creating a more stylish and fashion forward campus.