The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Synchronous learning produces mixed feelings, results

The good, the bad, and the simultaneous

The experience of school being called off for weather has become just a memory with the advancement of technology. With this, the first-ever synchronous learning day for the NACS district occurred on January 9, 2024. 

Synchronous learning is a new method of school continuation, for when the weather doesn’t cooperate. Synchronous learning consists of students joining a separate Google Meet for each class, and receiving the day’s lesson and instruction through that medium to replace in-class learning.

The first thing to consider is what main offices look for when deciding whether to cancel school across the 188-square-mile school district.

“The big thing is, is it safe for a school bus?” said Bill Toler, NACS assistant superintendent. 

While safer, Synchronous learning presents its challenges. 

“The hard part with teaching online while you’re used to face-to-face is that participation is almost not there,” said teacher Brenda Colbert.

The lack of interaction isn’t just a problem for teachers but also students.

“It’s just us sitting there and kind of listening because you’re not really allowed or supposed to talk,” said sophomore Asher Fosnaugh. 

While the lack of interaction is a problem, it’s still far better than its predecessor. 

“The benefit with synchronous is that you can have that live interaction with your teacher,” said Toler. 

Another key factor in synchronous learning is attendance. Toler and Colbert agreed that there is not much difference between in-class and synchronous attendance. 

How far students can move in their studies is important to understand the role of Synchronous learning. Because of the shorter periods within synchronous learning, some students feel rushed.

“There’s not enough time to learn most of the stuff,” Fosnaugh said.

Synchronous learning is to stay in the district, and adaptation is sure to follow. 

“At least for next year, our plan will be pretty similar to this year,” Toler said. “We’ll keep looking at things and see if we can make it better.”