The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Asian Student Union Club Celebrates Culture

Two students crafting red envelopes

Carroll continues to elevate its diversity on school grounds by introducing a new student union, devoted to the Asian-student population.

Founded last August by CHS students Stefanie Bareng and Sai Ah, and hosted by Olivia Knight, this relatively new club celebrates and teaches many Asian cultures to students who are Asian or to those who are curious. The club meets during B-Rotations on Wednesdays. They do a handful of activities each time they meet. For example, on Valentine’s Day, they crafted red envelopes, meaning good luck to the new year.

A handmade red envelope the club members made

“Sometimes, we also watch films and listen to music from those places or are related to the topic we are sharing in the club,” Bareng said. “And of course, there are times where we provide ASU club members with delicious snacks!”

Some members joined to learn about the different Asian cultures the world offers or even to share theirs. Others, like Akshita Kaushik, joined because “it said ‘Asian Student Union’, and like I’m Asian, so why not?”

Club members doing another activity where they’re separated based on birth year

The Asian Student Union stands out by not only creating the good luck ‘red envelopes,’ but also playing monthly jeopardy games, and holding an outside-of-school Thanksgiving Potluck with the CultureWise Club.

Although the club is currently full, Bareng said that she would “love to have new students to join us next year. ASU provides a vibrant community that students can embrace and appreciate their heritage we each share and honor each other’s individual journey. So, joining ASU will definitely be a fun, memorable experience!”