The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Counselors Advice – Guidance on Managing exam Stress

With finals and AP exams approaching, many students feel overwhelmed and stressed.

This is a common phenomenon among students as they have to deal with high-pressure situations and the pressure of performing well. School counselors have taken note of this trend and are working to come up with ways to help students manage their stress levels and stay on top of their classes.

This is important because stress providing helpful tips and strategies to help students cope with stress and stay on track.

“Students who can stay organized in the weeks prior to finals weeks tend to be most successful.  I encourage students to look not only at what is coming due the next day but two or three days in advance and make a reasonable plan.  Even though many people rely on their memory or digital devices to stay organized, I think it’s effective to make a paper and pencil outline of what needs to be done and when” said Senior Councilor Jessica McClure.

Aside from being organized and having a good plan, several factors contribute to a student’s stress level. One of the most significant factors is the number of exams or finals a student has to take.

The pressure of performing well on these assessments can take a toll on a student’s mental health and lead to elevated levels of stress, anxiety, and even burnout. Factors such as the difficulty level of the exams, the weightage assigned to them, and the time constraints can all add to a student’s stress levels.

“The best way to balance all of your final exams is to plan and create a study schedule so you aren’t cramming everything in the night before. If you make a schedule for yourself and stick to it, that will help alleviate some of the stress you may be feeling from final exams” said Junior counselor Lauren Kimes.

At the end of the year, students must prioritize their well-being.

This means taking care of their physical, emotional, and mental health. Engaging in self-care practices can help alleviate the pressure and anxiety that often come with this time of the semester.

“Relaxation techniques and self-care practices look different for everyone, but here are some options: get regular exercise, like 30 minutes of walking outside in the evening after dinner. Eat regular, healthy meals and make sure you’re drinking a lot of water” said Kimes

Getting a good amount of quality sleep is one of the most crucial aspects of self-care. It not only helps in resting and rejuvenating our body, but it also plays an essential role in maintaining our physical, mental, and emotional well-being.

“ I understand that sleep is one of the first things we give up when we are feeling overwhelmed with tests and due dates. Our brain needs rest to function well.  Getting enough sleep may require making temporary adjustments like working less hours or asking off in advance.  Prioritizing and making appropriate adjustments to fit in sleep, other healthy habits like exercise and eating well help reduce stress” said McClure.

It is important for students to recognize the various support systems that are available to them.

These systems can include academic resources such as tutoring, study groups, and mental health services like counseling and therapy. By utilizing these resources, students can receive the help and guidance they need to succeed in their academic pursuits and maintain their overall well-being.

“Students who need help managing stress can also reach out to a trusted adult in their life – a parent, teacher, guidance counselor, SAP counselor, assistant principal, coach, etc,” said Kimes.