The Student News Site of Carroll High School

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

The Charger Online

Click! Snap! Shutter! Carroll Photography Class Reveals Its Origins and Lessons

A camera
    Isaiah Clark
    A camera

The Carroll photography program was started by Nicole Croy in 2001.

“The next year they offered photo two, a couple years later, we added photo three, and then from there it went all the way up to level six,” said Croy.

Yet there are only seven hours in a school day, and with more and more students joining the program, Croy said, “I’ve had to drop photo five/six because there’s not enough of me to teach all those classes.”

Even with photos five and six canceled, there are still valuable lessons to be had in photos 1-4 and AP photography. Sophomore Shyla Watson, a student and Photo 2 said about the major lessons from the class, “It’s about… not thinking and going forward, and then it might turn into something cool.”

Nicole also said that one of the most important takeaways is, “just learning to see the world differently. I think that before photo classes students don’t notice that stuff. They don’t stop and notice the simple things.”

Out of her experience with photography and the class, Shyla said, “I recommend the class for people who are interested in photography… it can be hard for other people who aren’t interested in photography. But if you like what you’re doing, you’ll be fine.”

The fine arts showcase is on May 22nd and 23rd, where students can see the work of their peers.