Students finding ways to cope with shelter-in-place

Children with no responsibilities are struggling. Students in all grades are struggling, both emotionally and physically. At the beginning of this year, no one would have ever expected this, and honestly that’s probably why none of this is easy.

Some people feel truly alone and are not willing to share their stories while others feel like by sharing their stories, they will help people understand we are all in this together. It’s okay to feel pain, it’s okay to be happy as you spend time with family. Emotions are okay. 

“I have felt every emotion under the moon during everything. I have felt sad because I miss my friends and family I can’t see, relaxed because I haven’t stressed over school or been really worn out, except at the very start of it all. I felt alone, yes, but I also have a big family so I havent really had complete aloneness yet,” said junior Lauren Caldwell.

At the beginning of the year, students went to school and sat through classes and did their work and waited for the day to be over all the while hoping they could go home or go to practice and see friends.

With the news of possible remote learning before this all started, kids were excited for this new possible opportunity. 

“I was excited just because I thought how cool it would be to stay home and only go to class for a small period of time,” said freshman Ainsley Mitchell. 

But now, some students are realizing they should have never wished these days away, that the days they complained and took for granted, were truly some of the best days of their lives. 

“I was honestly kind of excited for a little change but once it actually was happening I was sad to leave school for who knows how long and worried about would come of it all and how it would all work out,” said Lauren. 

Many students, disappointed that they will not be able to finish the school year have made videos to look back at all their memories. From sports to prom to youth group and spring break, we all have missed something that we looked forward to. 

“I missed out on going to the beach and hanging out with friends but the thing I have missed most is going to church and being in my small group,” said Ainsley. 

One student, Cameron Carper, a sophomore, said he missed out on his own sports, but also missed out on not being able to help coach the middle school dive team. Even middle school students and elementary kids lost sport seasons they participated in. 

“I have missed out on club diving, baseball, and coaching the middle school divers. Even though the diver’s season was almost over, they had conference and they all tried so hard to learn their dives that I feel so bad for them,” said Cameron.

The band team also missed out on some really cool opportunities that they had planned. Once every four years, The Charger Pride Marching Band travels to Disneyworld to participate in a parade. Many students have looked forward to this trip for years.

“The Disney trip has been postponed,” said Haley Michell. “I am stressed and worried and at some points it doesn’t feel real but as this is all happening I feel grateful for what I do have.”

Change teaches us all but sometimes it happens to show us something we need to know, like living each day to its fullest or teaching us things we need for the future. 

“This pandemic and change has definitely helped me to change my perspective on issues we are dealing with not only in our community but in the world,” said Lauren.