More students work part-time, stress follows

Allison Reid, News Editor

Being a student is similar to having a full time job, but many of the students here have part time careers on the side. Some truly enjoy working, while others find it stressful and overwhelming.

“I work at McAlister’s Deli, somewhere between 15-20 hours a week, now that I don’t work weekends,” junior Sydney Shaffer said.

How many hours per week do you work

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In addition to the paycheck, Sydney truly enjoys the work she does, and how having a part time job has allowed her to meet people she never thought she would,

“I enjoy the regular that come in. A lot of them I know on a first name basis, and we can have a conversation and can make each other’s day a little better,” Sydney said.

Heather Kresl, the administrative assistant for the Natatorium, says she enjoys the opportunity to hire the high school students.

“It’s nice for us because we need lifeguards that can start right after school,” Kresl said. “The students are good babysitters for the little kids, and students who don’t like kids often learn to love them.”

Not every working situation has worked out easy. According to the American Psychology Association, 31 percent of teenagers reported being overwhelmed. Many students at Carroll believe their job it too hard to carry at times.

“I didn’t know the true difficulties until I began working,” junior Hailey Byall said.

Just recently, Hailey quit her job at a clothing store when the weight of school became too much.

“My schedule became really cramped. My grades were slipping because there would be nights I wouldn’t get home until 10:30 and I still hadn’t even eaten. I was too tired to even try and work on homework, let alone study for something,” Hailey said.

Not all of the effects of a part time career and being a full time students are negative, though. Character growth is something noted in most of the students who have compromised school and work, and give them key skills that can apply to them the rest of their lives.

“I’ve learned time management really well, and procrastination is not an option,” Sydney said. “I’ve also learned that when given free time, enjoy it.”