CFC club prepares for 2017-2018 school year

Neon Nation dons pink to raise awareness for breast cancer during the football game against Wayne on October 13. The Pink Out was organized by Chargers Fighting Cancer who raised more than $60,000 last year. Photo by Kylee Hoot

Allison Reid, News Editor

12.7 million people every year are diagnosed with some type of cancer.

Chargers Fighting Cancer, formally known as Making Strides, was started as an official club at CHS two and a half years ago by Ms. Delagrange and Mrs. McKee, and its purpose is to raise funds and awareness for cancers, working close with the American Cancer Society.

“When I was in 6th grade my mom, Denise Ritzert, was diagnosed with breast cancer,” vice president of Chargers Fighting Cancer Emily Ritzert said. “She had to have a double mastectomy, many rounds of chemo, and a lot of radiation.  I know what women have to go through to fight this illness.  I would hate to see any other person have to go through it.”

The club, though the school year has just begun, is in full swing. Chargers Fighting Cancer hosted their annual Nelson’s fundraiser on September 9. All the chicken was sold out an hour before the fundraiser was even set to end.

One more fundraiser was set for the semester, which took place on October 3 at Moe’s on Dupont and Lima roads.  This fundraiser is huge to the club because Moe’s gave Chargers Fighting Cancer 50 percent of the proceeds for the night. Though, in order for any meal to count towards Chargers Fighting Cancer, customers will have to bring in one of the flyers or a picture of a flyer the club will be hanging on the walls around CHS.

The next big event the club tackled was none other than the Pink Out football game, on October 13. Since the beginning of the school year, Chargers Fighting Cancer had been selling t-shirt, long sleeve shirts, crewnecks, and sweatshirt, all pink, that everyone can wear to the game to raise breast cancer awareness. To some CHS students, though, Pink Out is more than a game.

Another event for the club this year is Relay for Life, a NACS community event, which takes place on May 5, 2018. CFC president senior Madelyn Buhr said last year CFC raised nearly $60,000. 

“There are no words that could sufficiently describe this genuine celebration of cancer survivors, caregivers, and those who have lost the battle,” Madelyn said.

Relay for Life is a day long walk that raises money for all kinds of cancers, held previously at Carroll Middle School. All funds raised from this event are directly donated to the American Cancer Society.

Chargers Fighting Cancer is a club for every member of the Carroll community, and the club hopes to expand even further than what it is now.

“I’m excited we have males joining. Previously, we only had one, but we want everyone involved,” Ms. Delagrange said.

Madelyn also cannot contain how excited she is for this year’s events.

“The overwhelming amount of excitement and support that surrounds the event would not be possible without the generosity of the community,” she said. “

We truly appreciate the contributions of everybody who comes to raise awareness for the fight against breast cancer before, during, and after these events.”