The Charger Online

We Are The Charger Online

7 Different Students.. Tossed together to make a paper. The Charger Online...

The staff of the Charger Online welcome the opportunity to reform the newspaper. Staff Photo

The staff of the Charger Online welcome the opportunity to reform the newspaper. From left: Sports Editor Joe Hacker, Co-Editor in Chief Luke Hanna, Co-Editor in Chief Aleena Daenens, Features Editor Jacey McLaughlin, Opinions Editor Tauri Hagemann, Photo Editor Hannah Harper, News Editor Allison Reid, Adviser Mr. Beckley. Staff Photo

The Newspaper Club

The Feminist…

My name is Hannah Harper and I am a sophomore and in the newspaper class I am Photo and Social Media editor, this being the first year I have been on the newspaper. In my spare time I run and play piano, ukulele and guitar. I’m a ginormous fan of Harry Potter, and have read the books more than I can count (my last count was about seven times). I love to read every kind of literature I can get my hands on, and writing for a large magazine has been my dream since middle school. Through my life, I have constantly tried to bring people up and keep everyone smiling, to help people find the best parts of life. I am extremely passionate about equality for everyone in the world, because I have felt extremely lucky my whole life because of the opportunities I have had to create a great life for myself, and I feel like everyone in the world should also be able to feel like they could create a good life for themselves too. I also feel passionate about education and students feeling like they matter and that they can always do their best, no matter the circumstances.

The Fashionista…

My name is Jacey McLaughlin and I am a senior on the Newspaper staff. I am a  swimmer on the school’s team and I am a part of the school’s fashion program. I would like to study either fashion journalism or fashion marketing. My advice to others would be, don’t stress about the small things. Try to stay positive and find the good in all things no matter how big or small. I hope to help convey that message via the Newspaper, I hope to help people express themselves through fashion and keep a positive mindset as often as possible.

The Geek..

My name is Tauri Hagemann, and I’m a senior here at Carroll. This is my first year as a member of the newspaper staff, and I work as Opinions Editor and a Staff Writer . I enjoy reading and writing, and would love to be able to have a career as a writer in the future. I’m probably what most people would call a geek, because I’m a fan of Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, et cetera, and I’m a huge fan of a lot of newer Broadway musicals. I also love spending as much time as possible with my friends, as my friends and family are  important to me. I like to say that my top three priorities are faith, family, and friends. I’m  involved in my church (Living Waters Community Church in Garrett) and my Bible study group. Over the past year, I’ve become  deeply involved in my faith, so the life advice I try most to live by is to just trust that God has a plan for everything, and not to stress about what He’s doing in my life. Being a Christian, I believe strongly that people shouldn’t be judged for their faith and their beliefs, and I try to be as kind and accepting of others as I possibly can.  

The Philosopher..

The boundaries of your mind are endless, the human consciousness is incomprehensible. Im Aleena Daenens, the co editor in chief of the newspaper. I value the power of knowledge, climbing trees, and listening to others. Throughout life I’ve faced trials and tribulations giving me life altering choices that developed who I am today. I’ve found myself through pain, and understanding the human emotions has allowed me to accept pain and turn it into a learning process. My biggest life lessons are; necessity is blind until it becomes conscious, and that a genuine listener can brighten anyones day. My life is dedicated to going into the field of psychology, making people realize that their worth is more than an illness. In a world full of wonders and possibilities, I want to explore the mind more than anything else. Newspaper is important to me because in a world of selfish humans, ways to connect everyone is often underestimated. So as a community, breaking social boundaries is key to a happy community; especially in carroll high school. Join newspaper to feel accepted in a friendly environment, and further your understanding and acceptance of the school.

The Jock..

My favorite hobby is playing sports. Im Joe Hacker. Primarily I play hockey and golf, as well as basketball for fun during the summer. Also I watch sports regularly, whether that be golf on Sundays, hockey games on the weekend, or going to basketball games during the week. A life lesson that I have learned is that if you don’t take everything super seriously, than your stress level will go way down and your happiness will go way up. Something that I feel strongly about is that the laws of our country need to be strongly enforced and that we need to have a strong military. I also strongly believe in love and respect for our country and the men and women of our military that fight for our freedom.

The Scholar..

I really enjoy playing football or capture the flag. I’ve been playing them since I was little and they’ve become an important tradition in my life. Don’t forget to smile every day. There are a lot of times where people will let things bring them down so far they don’t bother, but everyone is impacted by you and what vibe you’re putting out. Smiling at one person can make their day.

I feel strong about this quote by F. Scott Fitzgerald: “I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” I’m a big believer in being happy in every step of your life, and if you aren’t, don’t be afraid to change it. 

I’m Allison Reid and I am news editor for the Charger Online.

The Journalist..

My name is Luke Hanna, co-editor in chief on the Carroll Newspaper Staff. Some of the hobbies I do just to relieve the stress are writing, playing golf, and listening to music. Writing is almost an obvious hobby as I would like to go into journalism as a career. I started playing golf with my dad at a young age and just recently, around freshman year, started to play more legitimately. Finally, music has been almost like a savior to me. Whenever anything is on my mind, my headphones are always my best friend. I feel really strongly about the fact that classic paper journalism is dying. The newspaper used to be a way of American life and now it is almost disappeared. I’ve learned a few life lessons through my 17 years of age and 13 years of schooling. One thing i learned is that lying will only lead to bad and it’s best to never lie. Another lesson I’ve learned from my 13 years of schooling on a public scale is don’t let your social status run your life. Once social status takes over someone’s life, they become conceited and full of themselves. You don’t need the most popular kid in class to be your friend. You need people that genuinely make you happy, people that know exactly what to say when you’re down, people with the same personality style as you to be your friends.

The feminist. The fashionista. The geek. The philosopher. The jock. The scholar. The journalist. 7 different people participating in the chance to change the school. Apart, we’re different. Together, we share the same goal. Bringing the newspaper back.

About the Writers
Jacey McLaughlin, Features Editor
Jacey McLaughlin is a senior at Carroll and is on the swim team, in Fashion class, and this is her first time on the Carroll newspaper, where she would like to combine both Fashion and newspaper in order to become a Fashion journalist someday.   Jacey swims short distance freestyle 50 yards and 100 yards....
Aleena Daenens, Co-Editor in Chief
  As the newest editor in chief of The Charger Online, Aleena Daenens exudes gravitas. Her thoughtful demeanor and her serious glasses tend to conceal her free-flowing personality. The one-time cheerleader walked a difficult path to get where she is now emotionally. People’s attitudes no longer affect her as they once did. At one time,...
Joe Hacker, Sports Editor

Joe Hacker in one of two returning members of The Charger Online staff. As Sports Editor last year, Joe wrote a piece called “Not Everyone Starts” which won a Superior Sports Story award from Ball State. In his personal life, Joe admires Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles for his work on and off the field as well as his determination to succeed after nearly falling out of the NFL. A big hockey fan, Joe is a die hard fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning and his sports goal is to one day cover the team for The Athletic. Joe is also a Captain for the Snider hockey club, which won a State Championship last season. Joe hopes to attend Ball State next fall and major in Journalism. As a longtime sports fan, Joe was immediately drawn into a life around sports. While a stellar athlete, Joe decided that he is better fit for a life in the press box than on the field. Joe’s ambition to become a top level journalist pushed him to take a job with SummitCitySports.com starting this fall working on Carroll football and basketball broadcasts. However Joe has also always had an interest in politics and uncovering the truth, leading him to set a goal of being a contributor for InfoWars.com if Sports Writing doesn’t work out.

Luke Hanna, Former Editor in Chief
Luke Hanna is Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Charger Online for the 2017-18 school year and the only returning member from the previous iteration of the Charger Online where he served as a sports writer during the 2015-16 school year, his sophomore year. Now a senior, Luke continues to have a passion for sports and will continue...
Hannah Harper, Editor in Chief

Junior Hannah Harper is now in her second year of newspaper, after having taken journalism her freshman year. As this is her first year as Editor, she hopes that she can make the newspaper, though still only on it’s second year, a reputable place for students to receive information about Carroll and the NACS community.

Hannah, in her spare time, runs cross country, reads, and does anything possible to be outside. She loves to travel, and hopes to one day become an environmental scientist, while doing freelance journalism in her spare time. She has been interested in journalism since middle school, and is thrilled to be able to have such an awesome newspaper staff by her side to put the news out.

Tauri Hagemann, Opinions Editor
Senior Tauri Hagemann speaks with no hesitation when expressing what she would like to be remembered by: her writings. Despite the amount of passion brewing in her today, Tauri only recently let writing become the focus of her free time. As a freshman, she’d just discovered how much of a drive she had for writing....
Allison Reid, News Editor
After 13 years of being involved in softball and involvement in at least four other extracurricular activities, Junior Allison Reid is what one would truly call a jack-of-all-trades. Outside of her regular class load and being a member of the 2017-2018 newspaper staff, she participates in softball, is a Raktivist leader, and is a member...